Odessa, with its beautiful, even climate, is surrounded by steppes, representing the perfect natural airfield, as if created to be the center of aviation. Since its foundation, Odessa has become an important trading and industrial center of the south of Ukraine; the center of the region where the largest seaports, industrial enterprises are located; city-resort.
It is in our sunny and friendly city that there are the hospitable air gates of the South of Ukraine - Odesa International Airport, whose services are used annually by hundreds of thousands of passengers.
The reference point for the history of the airport is considered to be the opening on May 21, 1924, of regular flights on the route Kharkiv-Yelisavetgrad-Odessa; Then here, on the Strelbishnoe field, was built one of the first air stations in Soviet Ukraine.
In March 1908 took place the first meeting of the members of the "New Scientific Sport Society"Odessa Aeroclub".
Flying on balloons and planes, parachuting jumps from balloons caused a lot of interest among many Odessa citizens.
The first public flight was carried out in Odessa on March 21, 1910, by Michael Efimov. Tens of thousands of people looked tensely into the hot southern sky. Soon, at the Odessa Air Club, at the initiative of the club patron, industrialist and banker Arthur Anatra, was organized a School of Military and Civil Aviators. Aerodrome, located on the Strelbishnoy field, was called "School".
Airplanes served by the equipment of the Odessa Naval Battalion, which became the first Odessa aircraft mechanics.
On March 26, 1923 was established the Ukrainian Joint Stock Company "Ukrvozduhope". After gaining independence, this day our country celebrates the birthday of civil aviation of Ukraine.
In early 1924 was built an air station in Odessa. And in the same year the young Sergey Korolev arrives to the Kiev Polytechnic Institute and enrolles to the aviation engineering department. Our famous countryman, who built his first airplane in Odessa at that time, became one of the founders of the world rocket and space industry.
In 1931 was built the first air terminal on the spot of the current airport. Odessa citizens should be able to fly quickly and comfortably to Dnipropetrovsk, Kryvy Rih, Nikolaev, Kherson, Skadovsk, Kakhovka.
In 1935 Odessa aviation branch was relocated to the new "Zastava airport". It hosted the 15th Aircraft Aviation and 216th Aircraft Special Forces.
The Great Patriotic War became a serious test for Odessa aviators. From the first days of the war, the personnel of the airport participated in the combat operations of our troops.
On the basis of the Odesa airport was created a special air group. Built on its base, the 69th Air Force Regiment met Victory Day near the walls of Berlin.
Aviators from Odessa bravely defended their hometown, providing advanced parts of ammunition, food, equipment, coordinating the movement of troops, providing radio navigation during flights.
After the release of Odessa, work was begun on the restoration of the "Zastava airport", and was formed a new flight depot. Already on the 5-th of November, 1944, international regular flights on the line Moscow-Odessa-Sofia resumed.
After the end of the war, in 1948 the 35th transport aviation unit was created. Four years later, merging with the airport, it turns into a 90th combined aviation branch.
In 1960, the airport was again transferred from Zastava to the Strelbishnoe field, where it is located to this day. Here, for some time, the civil airdrome "Central" is adjacent to the military school airfield.
In 1961 aviators from Odessa are one of the first to begin development of new passenger ships - jet TU-104. A new runway is being constructed for their reception, and in March 1962 a new terminal is being opened at the Odesa airport. The new technology expands the geography of flights, and the network of routes grows, the starting point and end point of which is the city-hero of Odessa. Odesa airport is known not only by its great history, but also by a large number of veterans who began their career at the very origins of the airport development.
Take off and landing - the output of the airplane in the air and the meeting with the land - the two most exciting and responsible flight moment. For a successful flight, the crew must at any time be able to navigate the space and refine its route. The connection of airplanes to the airport, the connection of the airport to the "outside world" around the clock is provided by the radio-lighting equipment and communications service - RLCS.
It organizes precise and uninterrupted operation of radar systems - instrumentation systems for landing and driving stations, which supports high flight capacity of the flight.
In April 2013, the construction of a new terminal with an area of 26,000 m² and a design capacity of 1,000 passengers per hour began. The new terminal has four trams. The total area of the departure areas provides comfortable accommodation for 12 passengers at the same time.
In the spring of 2017, the Cabinet discussed the allocation of funds for the construction of a new runway. So, at a meeting on September 6, Prime Minister Vladimir Groisman said that the construction of a new fleet is strategically important. On September, 8th, the solemn tablature of capsule, symbolizing the beginning of construction, took place. The construction of a new runway began on the 9th of November, 2017.